Thursday, August 4, 2011

Author Interview: Karl Fields

 Please welcome Karl Fields author of The Odd Job Squad!






 goodreads | Blog | twitter
_______________________________________________

Did you incorporate any personal experiences in your book?
Ander, the story’s main character, and I share a fondness for fortune cookies. When most people go out for Chinese food, they might have one fortune cookie and that’s mainly to get the fortune inside. I’m the opposite; I like the cookies. It’s not uncommon for me to grab a small handful (if no one’s looking, that is).

How did you come up with the idea for a "revenge business?"
It started with a news article I read a couple years ago about a school that had instituted a program to cut down on bullying. That got me to thinking, how might kids solve this problem if left to their own device?

If you could meet one of your characters who would it be?
That’s a tough one, but I’d have to say Joe. I love the combination of his laid-back, “What, me worry?” attitude and his knowledge of all things tech.
 I also have to tell you that last year I was in a bookstore and saw a girl who looked exactly what I imagine Shooter looks like. That was weird. I had to resist the urge to start talking to her like I knew her.

What are your future projects and do you plan on making a sequel?
This fall, I’m hoping to release my second book, “Instant Preplay,” the story of a boy who discovers that his DVR records TV shows before they air. It’s also for mid-grade readers, but with a different set of characters. And yes, I’m kicking around ideas for a sequel to “The Odd Job Squad.” I’m going to be very busy!

Lastly, what are you reading right now?
“The Throne of Fire” by Rick Riordan

Great answers Karl and thank you for the interview!


Happy Reading!
Ashlinn
 

2 comments:

rachel said...

I'm baaack! Great interview! :D

Ashlinn said...

Yeah!And I am so glad you're back!